October 2, 2009

My Previous Birth....!!!

Like every Indian child I too had studied about Rani of Jhansi in my school History books but had never given the topic any more second thoughts until one day I met a sage like person who told me that in my previous birth I was a queen in Jhansi ( note: a queen in jhansi not THE queen in Jhansi so it may and may not be Rani Laxmibai). He even made me have a peep in the past and I saw a fallen ruined fort in Jhansi ( almost all forts look alike... so it may and may not be the Jhansi fort.) and a Shivalya where the Rani worshipped. Please note that at that time I had never been to Jhansi or seen any fort and for next nearly 10 years or more I had no access to internet.
As is natural, I became totaly devoured by curiousity to know more and more about this subject but at a complete loss to know how to do it.

Many years later, on my first journey by train from Lko to Pune, I happened to pass Jhansi district and felt the rushing by scenery to be vividly familiar. The uneven grounds, the scattered big and small boulders, the upshooting of trees here and there was almost as if I knew the place well; the only thing that did not match was the greenery. Something inside me firmly told me it was greener and more vegetated...!!

I undertook many journeys through the same passage and it had became a sort of interesting passtime to watch out of window and see sevaral miles of Jhansi outskirts ( I don't know what that particular region is called but it extends several Kms before and after the main Jhansi Junction.) and find it to be somewhat mysteriously familiar. For inexplicable reasons I always thought this was the place where I had taken a flight with a handful of army on horseback.
The scantiness of the greenery still bothered me though.

Once we had to change trains at the Jhansi Junction and the changing time was 2 hrs so we decided to pop into the city and have a quick look at the Jhansi Fort, the secret idea behind it was obviously to find out if this previous birth story had any truth in it.

We took an auto rickshaw who rode up thin winding lanes through a poor city scape which I found somewhat indignating and surprisingly disgusting ( like, this can't be Jhansi, the Jhansi which I have always thought of was not like this...!) with S at my elbow asking again and again" Do you recognise something?"


Well, we reached the fort, a massive yellowish stone structure but to my dismay I did not feel or recognised anything. Nothing looked familiar to me as I had hoped it might.
We didn't have much time at our disposal so we didn't go in to any museam or even enter the mahal or somehting; we just went up the tower where there is hung a notice board saying this is the place where Rani sitting on her horse, jumped down with her baby tied on her back to make escape. Now anyone who has been to this spot in the fort will know that this particular tower is about 20 ft or something high and seems so frightening to imagine that a lady on horseback with a baby tied at her back could have jumped successfully down it and even survived the jump. Quite contrary to this feeling which I supposed to have got I looked doubtfully at the ground below and in my heart almost readily disbelieved it to be true. While retracing our steps back we saw a Shivalya too. The Shivalaya is a little insignificant part in the fort. I swear I had forgotten everything about seeing a Shivalaya in the fort in my visions...!
The visit was over and we returned back the same way we had come and I was throughly disappointed that I had found nothing. Merely finding a Shivalaya did not prove anything.







2-3 years passed by. I had entirely given up the idea that I would ever find out anything about this topic, the vision and the feelings all being figments of my imagination. Two days ago, I, by chance stumbled on a detailed research report on Jhansi ki Rani which made me suddenly sit up in amazement. The report had detailed many issues about the Rani along with dates and photographs.

The report says it has been found out that the folklore which says the Rani jumped from the tower to escape is totaly untrue; actually she escaped from a gateway in the fort. the picture of the gate was similar to the one I had seen in my visions.


The picture which depicted the supposed place of the last battle ground where Rani fought was the same sort of place which I had seen from the train window and found to be vivdly familair.( and even felt it to be the place where I had taken flight with my little army on horse back)





The date of the Rani's death was given as 18 June; mid June is about the time the North India usually experiences monsoon showers, means at the time she passed through this region, the place may have got a few rains already which accounted for it being green and sort of rain fresh in my vision and also for my diasappointment for seeing it scanitly green in the current date. I managed to see a few more photoes related to the Rani but familiarity is limited to only the 3 points mentioned above.

I am still trying my best to find out if there is any truth in the visions I recieved. Merely a bit of familiarity does not prove or confirm anything. For all I know, it all may still be nothing more than my imagination. Even if the previous birth as Rani is correct it could also mean I may be a person named Rani and not the Rani herself or maybe I were just a soldier in her army or a humble servant at the fort.

Well, whatever the case, even though I want to believe the rather fantastic tale that I was Rani of Jhansi in my previous birth, I cannot believe and will not believe as there is too little evidence in support of this. So for the meantime, I am going to leave it in the hands of time to prove me right...or...wrong...!

2 comments:

  1. If, You send me A-Email in thewholeuniverse@yahoo.com, I can show you the confirmed way out to know whether your previous birth was as Rani laxibai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello.. interesting story.. Sometimes my mother used to say that she may have been the queen lakshmibai in her previous incarnation as even her birth name was calculated to be 'Lakshmi' by the astrologer as per her nakshtaras and ganas and she was born in jhansi. It may be just a fantasy though.
    This blog was written by you 8 years ago. Have you been able to find any more evidence since then? Any flashbacks or figments of memories?

    ReplyDelete